Sunday, March 29, 2009

Huh?

I need to get something off my chest, something that has bothered me for ten years or more. Maybe y'all can explain this to me in a way that makes sense and allows me to bury this question forever.

When people get married, why do couples BUY the woman's wedding dress, but RENT the man's tuxedo? Shouldn't it be the other way around? When I married my Ex-Husband fifteen years ago, I too went all bridal on his ass, and purchased a dress that cost almost $1000. Fifteen years ago. And it has sat in big box in my Mum's basement ever since. Money well spent, huh?

And in my OWN basement? I have my Mummy's wedding dress in a big box. Granted, one of her sisters also wore that wedding dress -- in 1971-- so it has "only" been a pain in the butt to all and sundry for 38 years. I know my Mummy had always hoped I'd wear her dress when I walked down the aisle....but the woman was 4'9" and weighed 90 lbs on a good day. Me? Not so much. I have zero reason to keep her wedding dress (or my own, for that matter) but I am now saddled with both for all eternity.

The reasonable thing for a chick with a penchant for a white dress to do is rent the bloody thing, and buy her man a tux. Granted, a man doesn't get to wear a tux everyday, but I can assure you he wears it more often than one five-hour period out of his entire life.

So why do so many women, myself included, go temporarily insane over the matter of a big white dress?? Explain it like I'm four years old.

2 comments:

Mare said...

Well, I've seen the light! You so smart girl!

Metal Queen Mum said...

My take on it is that girls care more about the clothing than boys do! To a guy, a tux is just a tux, seen one seem em all. But for a girl, it just seems somehow icky or wrong to be wearing something that someone else has worn for such a monumental, princess-in-the-spotlight occasion...
My dress is in a garment bag in the back of my closet, and definately is the most expensive piece of clothing I have ever worn or owned at $700 BUT if possible, I sure would love to wear it again one day. My marriage is not where it should be so a vow renewal ceremony just to wear my dress again is not on the cards but hey, you never know...if things got better with us, I would certainly consider doing just that!
Oh how I loved my dress.....