Wednesday, October 8, 2008

The Knitting Chronicles

I am presently knitting three sweaters at the same time: for my Son, for Husbandly One, and for Step Son. The last time I knit a sweater for Son was almost ten years ago, and I have never knit for the other two. All I'm getting at is that the sight of me knitting hasn't been the norm around here.

All of these sweaters are a surprise to the recipient, and yet all three of them are in on the secret that I am knitting a sweater for someone else. Got that? Son knows I am knitting a green sweater for Husbandly One, Husbandly One knows I am knitting a red sweater for Son, and StepSon thinks the blue sweater is actually meant for his father.

I am the master of deception.

Except for the fact that I have to knit openly most evenings; I knit based on who isn't home -- or isn't expected home-- at any given time. And so, Husbandly One -- who only knows I am knitting a red sweater for Son-- has also seen me working on a blue sweater. My StepSon, who knows about the green sweater, has walked in on me as I work on the red one.

And nobody has questioned a thing.

So my question to you, dear Internet: Should I be glad they are all typical oblivious boys, or should I be pissed off that no one pays the slightest damn bit of attention to anything I do around here, as long as they all get fed?

Discuss.

No comments: