Saturday, May 9, 2009

And so it begins


This afternoon, Son and I planted the first of my three vegetable garden beds. I didn't do an exact count, but I can tell you we planted an obscene amount of peas, along with some carrots. In one of my containers we also planted some spring garlic, and basil in another. I may pull out the basil, though, and relocate it to the front flower bed....hey, I am TOTALLY making this stuff up as I go.


I still have soooooo much to plant, but I have nothing to plant the in! Husbandly One and I had bought bags and bags of compost, vermiculite, peat moss, etc, hoping I had done the math right and could fill my three beds. Well, apparently I should never be far from a calculator, because we were only able to fill the one bed. Crap. So back to the garden centre we must go tomorrow.
I used both Paul's intensive method for these peas, and his "kitty deterrant", which essentially means I shoved brochette skewers in to the soil every few inches, just close enough together for their pointy ends to (hopefully) keep my cat from crapping all over my bed. We shall see!
Who's Paul? Check out his amazing blog at www.apaetoday.blogspot.com . I will add him to my logroll as soon as my computer is 100% functional again. But so far, in 2009? Dude is totally my inspiration.... it doesn't hurt that we are in different gardening zones, and he started his garden about a month ago. If he discovers problems with the intensive planning experiment, I can still course correct. Score.

No comments: