Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Michael Moore

Let's get this out in the open right away: I enjoy his films. I could give you hundreds of reasons why, but that's not really the point.

I do not always agree with his politics, nor do I always agree with some of his interview techniques. I could give you hundreds of reasons why, but that's not really the point.

The point is that I just took a quick look around the internet, looking for reviews of his new movie "Slacker Uprising." The articles I read tended to highlight his politics much more than the quality of the film itself, and the comments to these articles surprised me.

Not one person, at any site I visited, actually commented on the movie, or on his decision to release it, completely free, on the web. No, all the comments were about Michael Moore The Man. Love him or hate him, all any one wanted to talk about was HIM. (And just to save you some time? Most of the people who took the time to comment won't exactly be sending him Christmas cards) Actual arguments broke out on some of these sites, arguments whose logic and choice of colourful euphemisms seem far more suited to a school yard. "You're a dum dum. No, you are. No, you are to infinity."

(cough,cough) Hi? Is this thing on? Can I get a word in edgewise?

Shouldn't the question be whether or not he has created a good film? Shouldn't the discussion revolve around the merits of the movie? (You know....movies?....It's an art form? Seriously, look it up.) Could we maybe talk about that? Cinematography, script, sound, or (my personal favourite) editing? Any takers??

Listen, I get the fact that he is a polarizing person, that he personally stirs up strong emotions in others. If you think he is Satan in a ball cap, that's your right. But can't we all stay on topic for five minutes, and get back to hating or deifying him later?

And, in a bold initiative, I plan to SEE the movie before I make up my mind about it.

'Cause I'm just crazy that way.

No comments: