Monday, October 15, 2007

Best salmon. Ever.

Husbandly One doesn't care for salmon (heathen!) so this recipe doesn't get play in our house. In fact, I had forgotten about it until Ex-Husband called me for the recipe the other day.

I did not create this, it comes directly from the original Canadian Living cookbook. From 1987. Yikes I'm old.

1/2 cup sour cream (I use low fat, never tried the no-fat stuff in this recipe)
2 tbsp melted butter
2 tsp minced onion
1.5 tsp dried dill, or 2 tbsp fresh chopped dill
1/4 tsp dried thyme
1/4 tsp salt
pinch of pepper (if you're anal about cooking, that's about 1/8 of a tsp)

1.5 lb (or about 750 grams) salmon fillets, skin on


In a small bowl, combine the first seven ingredients and mix well. I always tend to use more dill than it calls for, but that's just me. Taste sauce and adjust as necessary, but think long and hard before you add more salt. There is so much flavour to this sauce, don't kill it with saltiness!

Place fillets skin side down, in a single layer in lightly buttered baking dish (Instead, I line a baking sheet with foil, turn up the edges to keep sauce from getting everywhere, and then give it a shot of Pam instead of the butter.)

Now -- omigod, spread the sauce all over the salmon in a thick layer. It's like putting down spackle. In the good way. Cover that baby good.

Bake in a preheated 425 degree oven for.... a while.

See, here's how you cook fish. Get out a ruler. I am so not kidding. Measure it at the widest (and by that, I mean tallest) point. Cook for ten minutes per inch. Seriously, it's that easy. EXCEPT for the fact that you just put a heavy sauce on this fish. So, use the inch rule, and whatever you come up with, add five minutes for the sauce.

Let me know if you try this.
You're welcome.

No comments: