Thursday, November 26, 2009

Not sure I can do this

I don't think I've mentioned this before, but I am growing my hair so I can donate it to Locks Of Love, an organization that creates wigs for cancer patients, particularly children.

Contrary to popular belief, it IS okay if donors have dyed their hair. (Dye = fine. Lightening or highlighting = bleach = NO.) The other requirement is that the donated hair be twelve inches long.

The hair on the top of my head is much, much more than that, I'm just waiting for those wisps on the bottom to catch up (probably ten inches now).

I am soooo close.

For most of my life, I have had long hair. I have flirted with super short two or three times,and loved it at the time, but I always go back to my comfort zone, to hair I can pick up in my hand. That feels like me.

But I hate my hair so much right now that I'm not sure I can keep at this. It is sooooooooo LONG. I look like a freaking drowned rat, and in the past two weeks I have noticed that every time I try to eat and move a fork close to my face? My hair gets on it. Seriously, you guys, it's GROSS.

And now that I have grown accustomed to having long hair? I'm really not sure I can face the once inch shag I'll be left with once the whole Locks of Love thing happens.

I have been working towards this goal for over three years. But now I seriously think I'm going to throw in the towel, say, "I don't care, I want to cut my hair to the shoulders, and some poor nine year old girl with cancer won't get a wig because of it."

I feel soooooo selfish and shitty, does anyone have any advice??

2 comments:

Wendy said...

I've donated twice, but now that my hair is starting to get a little gray, I can't donate anymore. My girls have each donated, at least once.

I don't have any advice, though. In my life, I've discovered that if it's something I really want to do, I'll just do it. Otherwise, I'll find lots of reasons not to :).

Like building the duck house, which I should be doing right now, but it's cold, and there's a nice, warm fire in the house ;).

Gina said...

Oh, I can so relate to this issue! I've donated three times (I am half monkey when it comes to my hair and it grows fast). I have been talking about cutting my long hair off and donating again (which will mean a getting a bob). I really think the requirement is 10" not 12" but I'll have to double check that measurement.

I can relate to the gross factor. I constantly lose hair all over the house including the kitchen. Nothing like eating soup and finding a long, long burnett hair (no one else in the house to blame, LOL!!)

If you need a haircut and it is not long enough for donation, maybe donate $.